History of the vineyard
The first mention of vineyards from Pouilly-sur-Loire seems to date from the 5th century in the reference ‘Pauliacum super fluvium ligerim’.
It saw significant growth thanks to a large number of religious communities, notably the Benedictines. On one of the slopes, overlooking the Loire, a parcel of about 4 hectares has kept the name ‘Loge Aux Moines’ – the monks’ place.
Since the 16th century wines have been transported via the Loire, despite the occasional difficulties encountered from freezing, ice-melting, floods or low waters. The opening of the canal de Briare, in 1642, definitively orientated the commerce towards Paris.
After the phylloxera crisis, the area under production was limited and confirmed in 1929. The crus of Pouilly refound their former fame, and their quality was endorsed by obtaining 2 AOC’s in 1937:
- Pouilly-sur-Loire for the chasselas grape
- Blanc-Fumé de Pouilly or Pouilly-Fumé for Sauvignon Blanc
Today the vignerons improve continually the quality of their work, whilst respecting the environment and ever more deeply expressing the characters of their terroirs.
Between Burgundy and the Berry, the vineyards of Pouilly extend over 1 200 hectares (7 communes), on the right bank of the river Loire. There are 4 types of soils in the vineyards:
- The Oxfordian limestones of Villiers (small pebbles)/li>
- The Marnes of small oysters from the Kimmeridgian (white earth)
- The Portlandian limestones of Barrois (small pebbles)
- The clays and flints of Crétacé
Domaine Durand offers you the chance to taste and buy the wines of Pouilly-Fumé in its cellar – a chance for us to present a diverse range of wines.